HARRISBURG (Feb. 25, 2021) — The Pennsylvania Bar Association (PBA) presented County Bar Recognition Awards virtually to 20 local bar associations during the 55th Annual Seminar of the Conference of County Bar Leaders on Feb. 25.
The awards, which are non-competitive in nature, annually recognize bar associations throughout Pennsylvania for projects that improve the legal profession, justice system and community.
“We are so proud of the innovative projects and programs that members of each local bar association initiate to better serve its community,” said PBA President David E. Schwager. “We are even more proud to recognize these good works each year and applaud the efforts of the many volunteers that contributed to their success.”
The following county bar associations received awards for notable projects and programs:
- Allegheny County Bar Association: Police Use of Force and Court Rules for Bail, Probation and Incarceration Committee
- Beaver County Bar Association: CYS Christmas Gift Drive, Donations to Local Food Pantries and Young Lawyers Charity Golf Outing
- Berks County Bar Association: COVID-19 Legal Response Program and Perk Up the Vote
- Bucks County Bar Association: Keystone Attorneys Pro Bono Recognition Program, Child Advocacy Initiative and COVID-19 Updates and Resource Newsletter
- Chester County Bar Association: Chester County Evictions Court Prevention Program
- Cumberland County Bar Association: Adulting?!? for High School Seniors and Young Lawyers Division Adopt-A-Family
- Dauphin County Bar Association: Virtual Pro Bono Clinics, RiverFront Chats and Eviction Mediation Program
- Delaware County Bar Association: COVID-19 Emergency Committee and Community Outreach Committee Virtual Events
- Erie County Bar Association: Diversity and Inclusion Division and Register to Vote Initiative
- Franklin County Bar Association: Young Lawyers Division Food Drive
- Lackawanna Bar Association: Bylaws and Long Distance CLE Provider
- Lancaster Bar Association Classroom Heroes Program
- Lycoming Law Association: Angel Tree Holiday Toy Drive, Lycoming Law Association Foundation Grants and Lycoming County Historical Society Gift
- Monroe County Bar Association: Community Thank-You Project and Food Pantry Donations
- Montgomery Bar Association: Delaware Valley Legal Expo 2020 — Live+Virtual, Diversity: Countering Divisiveness & Injustice with Empathy and Respect, and Responding to the Needs of Members Amid a Global Pandemic
- Northampton County Bar Association: Mission: Hand Sanitizer in a Pandemic and Online CLE Program
- Philadelphia Bar Association: Judiciary Coronavirus Response and PPP Loans for Nonprofit Partners
- Schuylkill County Bar Association: “Food” Drive, Gifts for Our Kids and Service Organization Project
- Westmoreland Bar Association: New Headquarters Building Project
- Wilkes-Barre Law and Library Association: Antisemitism, America & the Law Live Webinars, MLK Day Celebration and Commemoration of the 100th Anniversary of Women's Right to Vote
- York County Bar Association: Impact Grants, Legal Aid and Scholarships, Making a Difference ... Boosting Soles and Souls! and YCBA and YCBF Presidents Establish Joint Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Task Force
The Conference of County Bar Leaders, whose membership includes leaders from county bar associations throughout the state and from the PBA, organizes a yearly educational conference focusing on the exchange of innovative bar association projects and ideas, and on the development of mutually-beneficial relationships among bar leaders that improve the legal profession.
Founded in 1895, the Pennsylvania Bar Association strives to promote justice, professional excellence and respect for the law; improve public understanding of the legal system; facilitate access of legal services; and serve the lawyer members of the state’s largest organized bar association.