PBA News & Information
PBA President López Issues Statement Regarding Calls to Impeach Pennsylvania Supreme Court Justices
PBA President Sharon López has issued a statement regarding calls for the impeachment of Pennsylvania Supreme Court Justices. Read the statement.
Calling All Lawyer Artists
Do you paint, sculpt, carve, do needlework, play the violin … or the bass guitar? The Pennsylvania Lawyer magazine is planning a summer feature on member lawyers who create art and we want to hear from you. Email us your contributions by April 1 and we’ll try to use as many as possible. Get more information.
And the Award Goes to ...
Wendy Leeper, executive director of the Chester County Bar Association, receiving the 21st annual Arthur J. Birdsall Award; Jessie Smith, Dauphin County, receiving the Gilbert Nurick Award; and 23 county bar associations from across the commonwealth receiving County Bar Recognition Awards during the 52nd Annual Seminar of the Conference of County Bar Leaders, Feb. 22-24. Read the news releases.
2018 Statewide Mock Trial Competition Underway
The 2018 Statewide High School Mock Trial Competition sponsored by the PBA
Young Lawyers Division is underway. With teams from hundreds of high schools across Pennsylvania
taking part, this annual competition is consistently one of the largest statewide contests of its
kind in the nation. The statewide contest concludes with the State Championship Weekend in Harrisburg
on March 23-24, and the state winner then goes on to the national competition in Reno, Nev., May
10-12. Read the PBA news
Seeking Nominations for the ...
- Award for Outstanding Leadership in Diversity and Inclusion from the PBA Diversity Team to a PBA
entity for supporting the PBA Strategic Diversity and Inclusion Plan. Get more information, including
the online nomination form, in the call for nominations. Nomination deadline: March 8.
- Solo and Small Firm Award: Get more information, including nomination form. Nomination deadline: March 9.
- Christianson Award: Presented by the Public Utility Law Section. Get more information. Nomination deadline: March 23.
- James S. Bowman Award: Presented by the Administrative Law Section. Get more information, including the
form. Nomination deadline: March 26.
- 2018 Clarity Award: Presented by the Plain English Committee. Download the nomination
form. Nomination deadline: March 29.
- David M. Rosenblum GLBT Public Policy Award: Presented by the GLBT Rights Committee. Get more information,
including nomination form. Nomination deadline: March 31.
- Louis J. Goffman Awards for Outstanding Pro Bono Service: Given by the Pennsylvania Bar Foundation
(PBF); get more information on the PBF website. Nomination
deadline: April 2.
- Excellence in Elder Law Award: presented by the Elder Law Section. Download the nomination form. Nomination deadline: May 1.
Awards and Scholarships for Law Students and New Lawyers
- $10,000 Stipend for Summer 2018 Internship in Environmental, Energy Law: The Environmental and Energy Law Section is awarding a $10,000 stipend to support a pro bono summer internship in the field of environmental and/or energy law. Read more about the award and the application process. Application deadline: April 2.
- IP Law Section Law Student Writing Contest: The Intellectual Property Law Section is offering $500
to the law-student winner of the section's 2018 writing contest. The winning entry will be
published in the section newsletter and on the section page of the PBA website. Get more information, including a
link to the contest guidelines. Entry deadline: April 6.
- The Patti Rose Scheimer Bednarik Memorial Scholarship, also awarded by the PBF, is available to a
law student or lawyer in practice for fewer than three years who demonstrates an outstanding
commitment to animal law/animal welfare. Get more information on the PBF
website. Application deadline: July 1.
Meetings and Events
For more on these and other PBA gatherings, in some cases including online registration, go to the
event date via the EVENTS CALENDAR link at
- Public Utility Law Section Meet and Greet Reception with PUC Commissioner Norman J. Kennard,
Harrisburg, March 14. Get more information
and register online.
- Environmental & Energy Law Section Global Climate Change Program and Reception: University Park, March 20. Get more information and register online.
- A PCHR Playbook: The X’s and O’s of Practice Before the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations, co-sponsored by the Administrative Law Section and the Labor and Employment Law Section: Philadelphia, March 22. Get more information and register online.
- Commission on Women in the Profession Spring Conference: Philadelphia, and simulcast in Allentown, Erie, Mechanicsburg, Pittsburgh and Scranton, March 22. Get more information and register online.
- PBA Statewide High School Mock Trial Championship: Harrisburg, March 23-24. Get more information.
- Avoiding Legal Malpractice Seminars: Get the current list and instructions for registering online for seminars beginning April 3.
- Administrative Law Section Commonwealth Court Practicum: Harrisburg, April 9. Get more information and register online.
- Civil Litigation Section Retreat, Skytop, April 13-15. Download the meeting brochure and registration form.
- Peace Institute, presented by the Collaborative Law Committee: Philadelphia, May 3-5. Download the event brochure.
Featured Member Benefits
- Announcing the New PBA Visa® Card: Get more information (member login required).
- Casemaker: Get the latest tips on navigating and getting the best value from Casemaker, free legal research for PBA members.
- Clio is the world's leading cloud-based legal practice management software. Read their
latest tips and insights for lawyers
(member login required.)
- FedEx: Small business owners, share your story for a chance to win a grant from FedEx. Learn more. PBA Members, take full advantage of your membership with the FedEx Advantage discount program. It's
simple to enroll and there's no cost and no minimum shipping requirements. Get more information (member login required).
- Kaplan Bar Review: Ready to start preparing for the bar exam? Ready to start preparing for a future
exam? Save $100 on the Kaplan Bar Review's Live Kaplan Course (includes Live-in-Class and
Live-at-Home). This exclusive PBA discount applies to any new enrollments for any jurisdiction.
Getmore information (member login
- Lenovo: Get 43 percent off select Lenovo devices and accessories: Member-only VIP offers available from March 5 through March 14. Deals are only valid while supplies last. Click here or call 800-426-7235, ext. 3577.
- Office Depot: PBA members save 10 percent off the web price on more than 30,000 office supplies
through the Office Depot Partner Program.Click here
to set up your discount account or to begin shopping and saving online or in stores today.
- Free Section Membership: Test-drive PBA section membership for one free year! Members joining a
section for the first time or who have not belonged to the selected section for at least five years
are eligible. Register online orcall PBA Member Services at
800-932-0311. Get more information on PBA
- USI Affinity now offers pet insurance for PBA members. Learn more about the coverage and get a
quote. USI Insurance Tip: Should you report a potential claim, even if you feel it is unjustified?
Absolutely! Your insurer may be able to offer advice that can remedy the situation, enabling you to
avoid the prospect of having a claim filed against you. Now offering a risk-management policy
enhancement for CNA policyholders in Pennsylvania. Learn more.
Click here for the current, public e-dition of The Pennsylvania Lawyer magazine. Click on the following for recent PBA publications
available for a limited time to nonmembers, illustrating the benefits of membership in the PBA and
its committees, sections and other groups: Administrative Law Section, Civil
Litigation Section, Commission on Women in the Profession, Elder Law Section, GLBT Rights Committee, Intellectual Property Section, Real
Property, Probate and Trust Law Section and Solo and Small Firm Section. Also available: The latest issue of "The County Line" newsletter.
Not a PBA Member?
Lawyer non-members: Review the benefits of membership
and join the PBA now. Members of the media: Connect to
the Media Center. For the public: Consumer
— Go to page 2 for more PBA News & Information