PBA News & Information
Midyear Meeting in St. Thomas, Jan. 29-Feb. 2, 2014Members, make plans now to join your colleagues for the 2014 PBA Midyear Meeting at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands. Experience firsthand the warmth and hospitality of "America's Paradise," combined with the opportunity to earn more than nine hours of continuing-legal-education credits. Registration deadline: Dec. 20. Get the event brochure, with printable registration form. Or register online (member login required).
Other PBA Meetings, Events• Commission on Women in the Profession Mentoring Receptions: Harrisburg, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, Dec. 5, 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.; get more information.
• Family Law Section 2014 Winter Meeting, Philadelphia, Jan. 17-19. Go to the event brochure. Registration deadline: Dec. 27.
• For information on additional PBA events, click on the EVENTS CALENDAR link at upper right.
Workers' Comp Certification Exam Application Period Now OpenFor lawyers interested in qualifying for the PBA Workers' Compensation Law Section's specialty certification, the current application period runs through Dec. 15 and the next certification exam is set for March 14, 2014, with locations to be determined. Get more information, including the application form.
Seeking Awards Nominations for ...• PBA Children's Rights Committee's Child Advocate of the Year Award; nomination deadline: Jan. 17, 2014. Get the nomination materials.
• PBA Minority Bar Committee's A. Leon Higginbotham Jr. Lifetime Achievement Award; nomination deadline: Jan. 17, 2014. Get the nomination materials.
• PBA Environmental and Energy Law Section's first annual Law Office Sustainability Award, to be presented to a participant in the Pennsylvania Lawyers United for Sustainability (PLUS) Program; nomination deadline: Feb. 10, 2014. Get the nomination form. Read more about the PLUS Program.
• PBA Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee's Sir Francis Bacon Dispute Resolution Award; nomination deadline: Feb. 14, 2014. Get the nomination materials.
$10,000 Stipend for Summer 2014 Internship in Environmental, Energy Law
The PBA Environmental and Energy Law Section is awarding a $10,000 stipend to one or more law students for a pro bono summer internship in the field of environmental and/or energy law. Read more
about the award and the application process. Application deadline: Feb. 17, 2014.
Click here for the current e-dition of The Pennsylvania Lawyer magazine. Select the following titles for other, recently issued PBA publications available to non-members on a limited time-basis: "The County Line"; Government Lawyers Committee "News & Views" newsletter; Commission on Women in the Profession "Voices & Views" newsletter.
Young Lawyers Support 'Wills for Heroes' Program for Police, First Responders
The PBA Young Lawyers Division co-sponsors the "Wills for Heroes" program in Pennsylvania. Through the support of volunteer lawyers, "Wills for Heroes" provides free wills and other estate-planning documents for police, firefighters and emergency medical personnel who risk their lives every day for the safety of their fellow citizens. Click here for more program information, including a list of upcoming events across the commonwealth.
Reaching or Becoming an Advertiser in PBA Publications
Click here for the online list of and links to display advertisers featured in the latest issue of The Pennsylvania Lawyer magazine. Click here for the online list of classified ads. Would-be display advertisers, click here for information about getting your ad in PBA publications. For information on placing a classified ad, contact Sarah Germak at 800-932-0311, Ext. 2226, or Sarah.Germak@pabar.org.
Important Changes Enhancing Website/InCite Access
Members, you now have access to your personal "My Dashboard" page on the PBA website. To reach your personal dashboard, click on the MEMBER LOGIN link at the upper right of the home page or on the MEMBER DASHBOARD link at the upper right on any page on the website. Due to recent security upgrades to the website, the following changes have been made affecting access to the site and to PBA members-only material:
• You must now include www in the URL for the website; this ensures member access to secure areas of the website, including the InCite free legal research program and the PBA Store.
• Your username and password for member login are now case-sensitive. Click here for more information, including login reminders for current, returning and new members.
• If you click on the InCite free legal research program icon at the right of the home page before you log in to the members-only area of the website, you will be prompted to log in. Upon successful login you will then go to an InCite landing page where you can click through to enter InCite as usual or, if you wish, update your member profile and/or change your password.
• Be sure that the PBA is "whitelisted" on your computer. By "whitelisting" the PBA, you can ensure that you receive important member notices and updates by email. Read more
about the "whitelisting" process.