PBA News & Information
For additional information on the following events, in some cases including online registration, click on the EVENTS CALENDAR at upper right and go to the event date(s).
Myers Testifies on Indigent Criminal Defense Center LegislationPBA President Forest N. Myers testified before the state Senate Judiciary Committee recently on Senate Bill 979. Sponsored by Sen. Stewart Greenleaf, the measure would provide $1 million in state funding for a Pennsylvania Center for Effective Indigent Defense Legal Representation to provide programs and resources for lawyers representing indigent criminal defendants. The bill was later approved by the committee.
PBA Enhanced Social-Media Presence
The PBA's presence in social media has been enhanced by a significant increase in postings covering PBA events, publications, news releases, awards and more. PBA staff also retweet using Twitter postings from the Administrative Office of Pennsylvania Courts, providing links to significant Supreme Court opinions and rule changes. To join in, members should click on the icon links for Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn at the upper right of the home page.
Altoona Area HS Wins State Mock Trial Competition, Heads to Nationals in May Topping more than 300 teams from 274 Pennsylvania high schools, a team representing Altoona Area High School is the winner of the 31st Annual Statewide High School Mock Trial Competition sponsored by the PBA Young Lawyers Division. The team goes on to the national mock trial competition in Madison, Wis., May 8-10. Read the news release. Find out more about the state competition.
Affordable Care Act Webinars for Solos, Small Firms in AprilTo help solo lawyers and small firms ensure that they are up to date on the requirements, regulations and mandates of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, PBA "Preferred Partner" USI Affinity is offering free, one-hour webinars stating at noon on the remaining dates this month: April 22 and April 29. Click here for more information and to register (member login required).
Castille Urges Lawyer Support of Access to Justice for All
Chief Justice of Pennsylvania Ronald D. Castille has appealed to all Pennsylvania lawyers to support the commonwealth's civil legal aid programs by providing pro bono service through direct representation and financial contributions. The term pro bono is based on the Latin pro bono publico ("for the public good"). Read the news release, with a link to Castille's letter to lawyers, on the Administrative Office of Pennsylvania Courts website. Read about the PBA pro bono program.
Seeking Nominations for the ...
• Public Utility Law Section Christianson Award; nomination deadline: May 2. Get more information, including the online nomination form.
PBA Award Recipients
• Jennifer Pokempner, supervising attorney at the Juvenile Law Center, Philadelphia, recipient of the Child Advocate of the Year Award from the Children's Rights Committee; read the news release.
• James M. Seif, former secretary of the state Department of Environmental Protection, recipient of the Annual Award of the Environmental and Energy Law Section; read the news release. And the section has presented its first annual Law Office Sustainability Award to Bala Cynwyd-based Manko, Gold, Katcher & Fox LLP, recognizing the firm as an excelling participant in the Pennsylvania Lawyers United for Sustainability (PLUS) Program. Read more about the PLUS Program.
• Nolan N. Atkinson Jr. of Philadelphia, recipient of the A. Leon Higginbotham Jr. Lifetime Achievement Award from the Minority Bar Committee; read the news release.
• Inaugural Solo and Small Firm Practice Section Award to Kelly Phillips Erb of The Erb Law Firm PC, Paoli; read the news release.
• Commission on Women in the Profession's Anne X. Alpern Award to Butler County Judge Marilyn J. Horan and Lynette Norton Award to Harrisburg lawyer Sarah C. Yerger; read the April 2 news releases.
May/June Lawyer Looks at ADA, ACA, Changing Law School Curriculum and More
The next issue of The Pennsylvania Lawyer magazine offers PBA member-written articles on the lawyer's duty to provide equal access to services under the Americans with Disabilities Act; the Affordable Care Act as a factor in divorce; and two views on how law schools can better prepare future lawyers for real-world practice. Also in the issue: lawyer and regular contributor Richard Frumer updates his earlier article on the law and historic artifacts in "Archaeology on Trial: A Verdict"; Editorial Director Don Sarvey profiles Susquehanna County solo practitioner and incoming PBA President Francis X. O'Connor; and our regular columns include Ethics Digest, Writing Tips and To Wit, with this issue introducing Kelly Phillips Erb, Chester County lawyer and author of the popular taxgirl.com blog, as a contributor to the Legal Tech column. Watch for the May/June issue of the award-winning PBA-member magazine, in the mail the week of April 20.
Bar Leadership Institute Class of 2014-15 Forming NowThe PBA is seeking applicants for the Bar Leadership Institute program for the 2014-15 bar year. Ten members will be selected for the class. Criteria include demonstration of leadership ability, willingness to make the time commitment to the seven-month program and being age 38 or younger or having practiced five years or less. PBA membership is required but prior active participation in the PBA is not. Get details and application materials; application deadline: May 9. Celebrating Law Day 2014Law Day is May 1, and throughout the month of May the PBA and local bar associations across the commonwealth are sponsoring Law Day activities, many of which bring lawyers and judges into the classroom to speak about the central role the rule of law plays in our democracy. Read the Law Day message from PBA President Forest N. Myers. Find out more about the PBA celebration of Law Day on our Web page, which provides lesson plans and activities for students, kindergarten through high school, under the American Bar Association (ABA) Law Day 2014 theme, "American Democracy and the Rule of Law: Why Every Vote Matters." Read more about Law Day on the ABA website.
Earn $25 Gift Card on Shipments by PBA 'Preferred Partner' FedExOpen a new FedEx account and earn a $25 American Express gift card by making three eligible shipments by May 15 using the FedEx Advantage discount program. Read more about the program (member login required). Find out more about PBA membership benefits and services.
Pennsylvania Lawyer Magazine Electronic Edition, Other Publication Resources Online
Click here for the current e-dition of the PBA's Pennsylvania Lawyer magazine. Select the following titles for other, recently issued PBA publications available to non-members for a limited time: Environmental and Energy Law Section newsletter.
Not a Member?
• Lawyer non-members, check out the PBA benefits and join the PBA now.
• Members of the media, connect to the Media Center.
• For the public: consumer information.