Unauthorized Practice of Law Charter:
The duties of the Committee on the Unauthorized Practice of Law shall be:
1. To encourage and assist county bar associations in establishing local unauthorized practice of law committees.
2. To coordinate the activities of the Committee with the activities of the unauthorized practice of law committees of the various county bar associations.
3. To maintain a central registry of all inquiries, complaints and cases, relative to the unauthorized practice of law, which have been received by the Pennsylvania Bar Association or the bar associations of the various counties.
4. To review, investigate, refer or monitor, as appropriate, to local committees, complaints of a parochial nature against any person or entity not authorized to practice law, who is alleged to be performing acts or services constituting or believed to be constituting the practice of law.
5. To review or investigate, as appropriate, complaints of a statewide nature against any person or entity not authorized to practice law, who is alleged to be performing acts or services constituting or believed to be constituting the practice of law.
6. When it is believed by the Committee that any person or entity is engaged in the unauthorized practice of law, to take appropriate informal action as the circumstances may indicate, including, but not limited to, oral or written requests that any such person or entity cease and desist from performing such acts or services, obtaining the assistance of state or local governmental agencies, meeting informally with district attorneys or members of the judiciary, or taking other similar actions.
7. With the approval of the House of Delegates and the Board of Governors, in each instance first obtain, to institute and prosecute to final conclusion, proceedings at law or in equity, as may be necessary or advisable, to punish and prevent the unauthorized practice of law.
8. To develop a consumer informational program, and as appropriate, to keep local committees, bar associations and the general public aware of situations involving the unauthorized practice of law.