The Pennsylvania Bar Foundation, the 501(c)(3) charitable affiliate of the Pennsylvania Bar Association, was incorporated in 1984 in response to the organized bar’s desire to become more involved in public service. The financial support of Foundation is generated almost exclusively from voluntary contributions.
We work to increase the public’s understanding of the law and its appreciation of democracy and strive to ensure that citizens, particularly Pennsylvania ‘s most vulnerable, have full access to our legal system. We accomplish our mission by making grants, seeking financial support from individuals and organizations both within and outside of the legal community, and encouraging bar members to donate their time, talent and expertise in service to the public.
A Board of Directors consisting of 22 voting members manages the Foundation. Elected Directors may serve a maximum of two consecutive three-year terms. All other directors hold office for one year.
The Board is comprised of:
- 12 Directors
- Two (2) directors appointed by the President-elect of the Pennsylvania Bar Association to serve during the President-elect’s Presidency who need not be lawyers.
- The President of the Pennsylvania Bar Association.
- The Immediate Past Chair of the Young Lawyer’s Division of the Pennsylvania Bar Association.
- The President, Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary of the Foundation.
- The immediate past president of the Foundation
- One director appointed by the Foundation President who need not be a lawyer.
There are presently ten committees that help the Foundation carry out its mission and most meet by telephone conference call. Each would benefit from your energy, talent and expertise.
Articles of Incorporation and the Bylaws guide the Foundation’s Board Directors, along with Board Member Commitment and Expectations. The Board meets quarterly and relies on its Executive Committee to address management issues between meetings.
Join the ranks of Members of the PA Bar Foundation by signing up today. Choose from any of the Foundation membership categories that are in line with your level of support. Full membership meetings are held annually in conjunction with the Annual Meeting of the Pennsylvania Bar Association. Use the online pledge form, call (888) 238-3036, or e-mail [email protected] to learn how you can become a fellow of the Foundation or make a contribution.