Presentation of 2013 PBA Pro Bono Award to Richard M. Lutz at the Delaware County Bar Association Summer Pro Bono Reception, June 25, 2014
Pictured above are Chadds Ford attorney Donald J. Weiss (right) and Pennsylvania Supreme Court Justice Seamus P. McCaffery being honored at a 2012 celebration of a unique Delaware County pro bono partnership between the Media-situated Pennsylvania Veterans Museum and local lawyers. The Veterans Tax Program is a pro bono initiative that annually serves about 50 retired veterans, many from the Korean War. The program is geared toward trying to help those vets who most need the help, with most being older than 75 and having marginal income. The program works this way:
- 1. The museum does the advertising for the vets.
- 2. The vets register with the museum.
- 3. The museum emails Don Weiss the name and phone number of the vet.
- 4. The Delaware County Bar Association does a blast to get volunteers from the bar association, and Weiss also sends emails to CPAs and public accountants. This blast starts sometime in December and January.
- 5. Volunteers are assigned vets and they contact each of their assigned vets.
- 6. As more vets sign up, volunteers add to their lists and contact the new vets.
- 7. The volunteers contact the vets directly to set up a meeting or somehow get their tax information.
- 8. There is follow-up with the volunteers to make sure they have contacted their vets.
- 9. Tax services are provided to the vets by the volunteers.
For more information, please contact Donald J. Weiss, 6 Hilloch Lane, Chadds Ford, Pa. 19317; Ph: 610-459-8074; Fax: 610-459-8653; Donaldjweissesq@aol.com.
Widener Law School's Medical-Legal Partnership Project in Chester, 2013
Delaware County Pro Bono Gold Card
Delaware County Bar Expands Pro Bono Efforts, Summer 2012
Pennsylvania Veterans Museum Law Clinic Wills for Veterans Event, Media, Pa., March 24, 2012
Fundraiser for Legal Aid of Southeastern Pennsylvania, Sept. 15, 2011
Delaware County Pro Bono Options, 2010
2009 Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network (PLAN) Excellence Awardee: Elizabeth C. Price
County Bar Contact Information
Community Impact Legal Services, INC.
March 2005 County Bar Recognition Award