This guide, a project of the PBA COVID-19 Task Force, provides links to information of assistance to Pennsylvania lawyers.
DISCLAIMER: This information is being issued to inform, not to advise, and should not be considered legal advice. Some information is based on Pennsylvania law. The statements are general, and individual facts in a given case may alter their application or involve other laws not referred to here.
Connections to the courts
Reopening guidance for businesses
Federal information and programs to assist small businesses
State information and programs to assist small businesses
Mental health support services for lawyers
CLE resources for lawyers
Articles, blog posts and guidance for lawyers
Legislation and governmental orders of interest to lawyers
DISCLAIMER: The below enacted legislation and orders may be of interest to lawyers but do not necessarily reflect the positions of the PBA.
- Act 9 (House Bill 68) – makes applying for unemployment compensation easier for workers affected by the COVID-19 pandemic
- Act 10 (House Bill 1232) – provides $50 million for the purchase of medical equipment and supplies for hospitals, nursing facilities and emergency medical services to meet the urgent needs by patients and staff
- Act 12 (Senate Bill 422) – reschedules the 2020 primary election from April 28 to June 2 and makes other election process changes, including some due to the COVID-19 emergency
- Act 13 (Senate Bill 751) – waives the requirement for schools to be in session at least 180 days, provides for continuity of education plans, ensures school employees are paid during the closure, and provides the Secretary of Education with authority to waive student teacher and standardized assessments.
- Act 15 (Senate Bill 841) permits remote notarization of all documents and municipalities to meet remotely by telecommunications device during the COVID-19 disaster emergency after meeting certain requirements; Act 15 further permits local governments to provide greater flexibility on property tax deadlines.
Information for law students
COVID-19 resources by subject area
Discrimination and Racism
Solo and Small Firm Practice
Pro bono service during the crisis